Test Error




metafields.c_f.article_image_alt

The Dirt on Dairy

Many people believe they are lactose intolerant because drinking milk or eating yogurt causes mild to severe discomfort and negative physical reaction - and we are all for avoiding any food that causes these reactions in your body. In fact, we avoid dairy for the most part in our personal lives because we simply feel better when we cut it out. However, what most people do not realize is that it is not so much the lactose in dairy that aggravates the system, but the casein protein that is present in the dairy we consume. Casein makes up 80% of milk, the other 20% being whey.

In America, the dairy that comes from cows milk contains A1 beta casein, which is a mutated form of A2 beta casein, which was the form of casein that was found in cows’ milk for thousands of years. Due to a genetic mutation, perhaps caused from the food fed to North American cattle, the A2 beta casein evolved into the less body-friendly A1 form.

Research suggests that the prevalence of A1 casein coincides with the rise in the increase of heart disease, schizophrenia, and autism. Additionally, the human body has a harder time digesting this form of protein, making allergic reactions all too common - difficulty assimilating nutrients, bloat, fatigue, skin issues, etc. Luckily, if you are a proponent of dairy but find cow’s milk to be aggravative in your body, give goat’s milk or sheep’s milk a try. Neither of these animals produce the A1 beta-casein. Though their milks have distinct taste that may take some getting used to, many prefer the slightly denser and mature flavor once they give it a try! Plus, there is less likelihood of an upset stomach or cramping to accompany your milk and cookies ;)

 

Sources: Samantha Lynch R.D., Beyond Organic

Related Posts

Most Popular

Sign up for our newsletter