How to Start a Workout Routine
Exercise is undeniably good for you- It’s a stress reliever, maintains heart health, improves self confidence, maintains a healthy body composition, and releases endorphins. Thanks to Elle Woods, from Legally Blonde, we all know that endorphins make people happy, and happy people don’t kill their husbands. So because we all don’t want to kill our husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, best friends, whatever, lets discuss how to get your booty in gear and start a workout routine.
1) Get Out Your Vagenda. A woman’s to do list is always jam packed with social engagements, work tasks and other plans for world domination. I call this a Vagenda.. At the start of each week I schedule in my workout days and plan what I’ll do when I’m there. This means I will enter the gym with a plan and wont end up ellipticalling, watching Real Housewives, and not breaking a sweat. Write it down. Show up. Work out.
2) Spice It Up. The best workout plans have a mix of strength and cardio. Trying workout classes is a good way to find out what you enjoy doing and what you don’t. If you feel empowered shaking your groove thing during Zumba, do it. If you prefer to get outside and be alone with your thoughts and an awesome playlist you can run or cycle. The options are endless. Classes are also a great way to learn strength moves with weights, until you’re ready to challenge yourself on your own. Yoga and Pilates are great for strength and stretch too! If you don’t belong to a gym with classes, you can find great workout routines on YouTube for free. It doesn’t matter what workout you do as long as you find something that you enjoy doing that feels good for your body and mind.
3) Get Cute Workout Clothes. I’m not saying go out and spend a million dollars on designer workout duds, but if you look cute at the gym, it can help you feel confident and own your workout. If you look the part, youll be more motivated to go. Plus good quality workout clothing is practical and functional. Have you ever seen someone try to do yoga in skinny jeans? Or run in baggy sweatpants? I have, and let me tell you it made working out much more difficult. My faves for cheap workout clothes are PINK by Victoria’s Secret, even Target, Forever 21 and Joe Fresh!!
4) Find a Partner in Crime. This backfires sometimes because its SO much more fun gossiping and pretending to do crunches on a stability ball. But if you find someone who has similar goals to you, and will keep focused, this is a great way to make working out more fun and keep you accountable.
5) Don’t be a Psycho! This ones really serious. When starting a workout routine its easy to be like, “I’m on a health kick and going to workout every single day, no matter how tired I am!” This leads to people injuring themselves and getting exhausted. Your body needs rest days. Exercise should always be something you do because you love your body- not because you want to punish it!! So ease into it and listen to your body.
Now get off your computer and give me 20!
Bailey Brown is a Toronto based fitness instructor and nutrition expert. Bailey is currently studying holistic nutrition at he Canadian School of Natural Nutrition and specializes in teaching ballet barre, kickboxing and bikini bootcamp fitness. Hobbies and interests include blogging at www.baileybrown.ca, baking gluten-free vegan treats, kale smoothies, travel and instagramming post-workout selfies at @bodybybailey.