The 4 Substances Your Skin Products Better Not Have
The face absorbs more than any other place on the body with most studies estimating that’s about 60 percent of the products from skin care to cosmetics that we use.
If we’re not conscious, that means our skin is absorbing unrecognizable pathogens from dioxin to phthalates that could cause skin allergies, cancer, and infertility at high doses.
So what's a Sakaralite to do when showering in a new gym or combing the bodega aisles for an emergency purchase? A dab here and there won't kill you, but all in all, please do us - and your body - a favor and promise us you'll avoid as many of these 4 harmful substances as possible.
WHAT TO AVOID
1. Parabens: the preservatives that keep cosmetics fresh for years on end, but they are quickly absorbed through the skin and have been associated with breast cancer.
2. Synthetic colors: often appear as FD&C or D&C followed by a number and color are derived from petroleum and coal tar. They not only irritate the skin, but are also linked to skin cancer and ADHD.
3. Phthalates: chemicals that add flexibility and softness to plastics. Unfortunately, that super soft face wash might also increase the risk of breast cancer and reproductive birth defects.
4. Sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureate sulfate: found in more than 90 percent of personal care and cleaning products, but the providing that sudsy foam comes with a combination of skin, lung and eye irritants.
We are incredibly blessed to live in a world where we have the choice between processed and natural skin care. We're not going to make the wrong one.
For you Sakaralites looking to go to the next level and ditch skin care altogether (yes, it's possible!), there are a number of vegetables and supplments you can take that cause your skin to, quite literally, shine from the inside out.
WHAT TO INCLUDE
1. Apple cider vinegar: in a glass of warm water, first thing in the morning. It has many many benefits, but we’re most interested in its alkaline nature that rebalances our pH levels leading to clearer, smoother skin.
2. Avocados: oozing with health fats, vitamins A and C and fiber. Eating avocados as often as possible will give your skin a plump. healthy, hydrated glow that no product on the market can match.
We're not aiming for perfection here. We know it takes a combination of concious product selection + nutrient-dense diet to get through the day. Add a little love to that equation and you are on your way to that that Sakara glow!
*Photo by Natasha V. via here