Sakara Approved: The Ultimate Date Night Burger
Sometimes it can be difficult to agree on a meal with your loved one - especially when you're keen on sticking to clean, whole foods and they're keen on...well...anything deep fried. Not anymore. We've created a delightfully delectable veggie burger + beet chip recipe that you, your lover, and both your bodies will love.
* Disclaimer: we are not responsible for the dinner-making demands your special someone will start to make after tasting these. Our advice is to make a batch of these babies in advance and freeze, so that you can satisfy your other half's cravings at any time.
FOR THE BURGERS:
- 1 medium sweet potato, baked and peeled
- 16 oz. cooked white beans (canned, drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 TBSP tahini
- 3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- wild oats, ground to 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, grated finely
- 1/2 TBSP sesame seed oil
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
Bake your sweet potato at 400 for 40-60 minutes, until tender. While it's softening up, rinse the white beans under warm water. Once the potato is done (keep the oven on! you'll need it later), discard the skins and mash the vibrant orange contends into a large mixing bowl with the beans. Fold in the onion and keep on mashing. Add all remaining ingredients and mash until well combined. Feel free to have some fun use your hands here! Form the burger mixture into large patties. Heat a skillet over high heat, add your coconut oil and then burger patty when hot. Cook for 2 minutes on each side (until slightly brown). Repeat with the remaining burger mixture - feel free to freeze the leftover burger mixture and cook for your lover later in the week. Place the burgers on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until cooked through.
Sandwich that baby between gluten free or sprouted grain buns, and finish off with all accoutrements to your liking. Creamy avocado, sweet ketchup + mustard, lettuce, onion, sauerkraut... choices are endless.
*This serves 5-6 (so if it’s just you + your lover, save for leftovers)
FOR THE BEET CHIPS:
- 2 pounds of large beets, peeled
- 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- himalayan salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 and line one or two baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a mandoline, thinly slice beets. (No mandolin in the house? Slice the beets as thinly as you can without slicing a finger). In a large bowl, toss beet slices with olive oil to coat. Arrange your sliced beets on baking sheets without overcrowding. Bake until crisp - about 25-30 minutes - rotating pans once halfway through baking. Cool the chips and blot with paper towels to remove any excess oil. Toss beet chips with S + P.
*Beets cause the nitric acid in your body to increase, helping to dilate blood vessels and encourage blood flow, making these chips a date night must have. They're also great for endurance ;)
Enjoy, lovers! xx