The Ritual: Keri Glassman
- I always have to get up before anybody else. I usually wake up naturally, but I still set the alarm for back up.
- I'm a coffee drinker, so I’ll make my coffee and have it with my organic, whole milk. A lot of people are like, "Isn’t coffee bad!?” But it’s really not, it has a lot of health benefits if you do it the right way… Meaning, if you’re conscious about how and when you're drinking it.
- I’ll also make sure to have a glass of water with lemon.
- I’m pretty hungry in the morning, so before breakfast, I’ll have a tablespoon of almond butter, or a handful of cashews.
- I have a little terrace, so I love to go outside for a minute just to zone out and meditate, or listen to a podcast or something. In the summer, I’ll maybe go upstairs to our roof, or go for a walk if I’m not doing a whole workout that day. Other times, I’ll actually wake up and just do my full morning workout before everybody wakes up. Or, I’ll do it around 8:30 once everybody’s out.
- If I’m not going to get a full workout in that morning, I’ll just do two sets of push ups, or a plank. That way I can get my blood pumping a bit.
- Then I’ll figure out what the plan for the day is. I normally have it done the night before, but I also need a sort of reiteration like, “Okay do I need to change anything? Reschedule anything?”
- We always try to do breakfast as a family. I’ll make my kids whatever they want, and we’ll all sit down and enjoy it. My son always like smoothies, and my daughter likes eggs. So I’m usually doing two different breakfasts, but I always find a way to combine them. I’ll use a bit of the same ingredients for both so that I’m not making three entirely different meals every morning. It can sound like a lot, but it’s really not. Mornings as a family are really important for us.
- Then they’re off to school, and I start working.
- Once everybody’s down, I always write down five things I need to get done the next day, because obviously, we always have a list of a thousand things, right? I do this so that when I lay my head down, my mind’s not overwhelmed by a big list. Otherwise, I’ll wake up in the middle of the night thinking about things that I can’t do anything about yet.
- I put away my computer, and make a cup of chamomile tea. Hot chamomile tea, always, every single night. Even in the summer. It’s my wind down.
- Then I’ll do an 8-minute meditation. Lighting a candle helps too.
BEAUTY + BODY
- I use coconut oil for everything. It’s always in the bathroom for skin, to take off makeup, moisturize. I’ve used coconut for years.
- I’m a strong believer in green tea for the skin! Homemade ginger tea is also key to have in the house during cold months.
- I love a good body scrub and putting oils on my face. I’m just a huge advocate for staying hydrated and moisturized, whether that be with putting on oils, or eating all your good antioxidant foods and omega-3 foods every day.
- Between water and tea, I probably drink 70 ounces or more a day.
FAMILY TIME IS THE BEST TIME
- When I get any sort of stress - about work, or anything in life - I bring myself back to my relationship with my kids, my partner, and my family. I am always thinking about my relationship with my them. Whatever is going on, they keep me grounded and focused. I want to accomplish great things, I want to touch people, I want to do all these things… But at the end of the day, they're the most important thing.
- I always tell them, “When you put your head on your pillow at night, do you feel good about what you’re doing? Be kind and work hard. After that, who the hell cares? If no one at school likes you, if the teacher doesn’t give you good grade, then whatever! It doesn’t matter, because as long as you feel good about what you’re doing, then that’s all you need to worry about.”
* As inspired by Keri as we are, and thinking of going back to school for nutrition as well? Check out Keri's online certification program, where you can now access a special pre-sale offer and an exclusive mentorship experience with Keri herself. The program is only open three times a year and sells out quick... So get on it! We'll see you there! Xo