WHAT’S HAPPENING NOW: THE TOP MUST READS IN HEALTH + WELLNESS THIS WEEK
Every week, The S-Life Mag will make sure you’re in the know about the latest scientific studies and current events pertaining to health, wellness, nutrition and more. This is the stuff you need to know for your body, mind and soul!
- This ought to help you get into the holiday spirit of giving. Research finds helping others may reduce stress!
- Happiness may not help you live longer, but we’d like to add that it sure makes the ride more fun.
- Raise a glass to this news: moderate alcohol consumption (around one to two drinks per day) may reduce mortality in people diagnosed with mild early-onset Alzheimer’s.
- One in five American children has unhealthy cholesterol levels—and the CDC is pointing the finger at childhood obesity.
- The 2015 American Health Rankings are out! The list reveals that some of the sickest states (including Louisiana, Mississippi and Arkansas), where many residents suffer from obesity, diabetes and heart disease, have shown little improvement in the last year. (Time to get Sakara going nationwide, stat.)
- Would raising the legal age to buy cigarettes help stamp out this unhealthy habit? The city of Cleveland is banking on it.
- A swipe right could save a life. Tinder users in the UK can now use the app to become organ donors.
- You may be surprised to learn who’s the guiltiest of pushing prescription narcotic painkillers.
- Snuggle up with Fido—it may help you get a better night’s sleep.
- The microbiome amazes us yet again. A new study has found that exposure to cold influences gut microbes that may spur the development of brown fat, which in turn could aid weight loss. Don’t we always tell you that your body is amazing?