Easy Spring Cleaning, Sakara-Style
When you hear Spring Cleaning you probably see an image of yourself on all four scrubbing the bathroom, finally getting at those dust bunnies behind the couch, or hauling out a couple of trash bags of clothes you're ready to give away to their next owner. You gotta make space for the new by outing the old, right? But when we talk about Spring Cleaning, we're talking about cleaning out your diet and focusing on nutrient dense plant-based foods that boost your body's ability to detox. We're talking about digging deep and cleansing the body at a cellular level. We're talking about shedding your winter body to make room for that sexy summer body you've been manifesting these past few months. What's the best way to do that? Each Sakara meal is based on our 9 pillars of nutrition, and these guys are the key to cleansing, fueling, and healing your body. And that is the key to results. Don't have the time, patience, skills, or desire to DIY? That's why we're here.
1) Quit calorie counting already Calories are a metric of energy, not a food’s nutritional quality. And they’re not all created equal. Instead of counting calories, we count vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, macronutrients and colors, and focus on how food makes us feel. Calories from one food can be totally addictive, while calories from other foods can heal your body’s impurities. This stays true for weight as well. Some calories will rev up your metabolism, while others will wreck your flat tummy goals. This is because food is not solely made up of metrics of energy. The nutrients of various foods are information and nourishment, not numbers.
2) Up your plant protein Plants are one of the best sources of bio-available (i.e. usable) protein, an essential macronutrient that is part of building everything from our cells to your tissues to your muscles. Four cups of kale packs 12g of protein! You can get all the muscle-building aminos you need from plants. Find it in everything from nuts and seeds (we love chia and hemp!) to whole grains like quinoa to, believe it or not, leafy greens like kale, which contains 3g of protein in each cup.
3) Consciously bring in more hydrating foods Staying hydrated is not just about drinking your water—you have to eat your water too! Eating hydrating foods is one of our secrets to that youthful, dewy Sakara glow. Let’s put it this way: what doesn’t escape your body through the elimination system stays in there and manifests as sickness (which we're trying to ward away here). When you eat hydrating produce, like romaine lettuce, cucumber, radishes and tomatoes (all found in Sakara meals!), each molecule of H2O is bound up within that fruit or veggie’s structure, providing your body deeper, more sustained cellular hydration. And that is the key to a healthy, sexy glow.
4) Eat. Your. Greens. Eating 4 to 6 cups of greens per day is one of the fundamental principles of the Sakara Life because it is key to cleansing and healing. This may be more greens than you’re used to, and it can be challenging at first, but it’s also where the most life-changing results come from! The chlorophyll in plants not only pumps essential vitamins and minerals into your cells, but helps to detoxify them, keeps cravings in check, eliminates body odor, encourages fast wound healing, protects your DNA from unwanted pollution toxins, and so much more...trust us on this one! Greens are the secret to the most transformational results (which is why we include them in almost every single one of our meals). Leafy greens are packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and even protein. Kale, spinach, romaine, arugula…eat up.
5) Good fats are your friend Don’t fear fat—embrace it like you embrace your bff. The good kind, anyway. We use the freshest, highest quality, most nutritious oils and plant-based omegas (like those found in coconut oil, avocado, nuts and seeds) to nourish your brain and nervous system, rejuvenate your skin and help your body assimilate all the wonderful nutrients in your meals. In fact, studies have proven that a diet rich in healthy fats actually helps to burn more calories and lose weight sustainably. Healthy fats nourish the metabolism and activate better brain function. Repeat after us: fats are my friends!
6) Eat the rainbow - every day! Fruits and vegetables get their brilliant pigments from the antioxidants and vitamins they contain. By eating the rainbow, you can be sure you’re getting the abundant variety of nutrients your body needs. Also, be mindful of organic produce: more flavor, more nutrients, no scary pesticides, genetically modified organisms or other mysterious and toxic chemicals…need we say more?
7) Be mindful of nutrient density All Sakara meals are designed not only to optimize your time, but also your results—by flooding your body with nutrient-dense superfood ingredients. This is food that works for you, not against you. Leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables dominate the top of most-nutrient-dense foods on Earth, and we integrate just enough of both for you to detoxify, and feel 100% while doing so.
8) Sulfur-rich vegetables taste better Cruciferous veggies, like kale, cauliflower and cabbage, provide sulfur, a building block of every metabolic reaction in your body. It’s a cleansing, energizing element that helps the liver and kidneys fend off toxins and supports protein production by fueling the mitochondria in your cells. Sulfur is also required for the creation of keratin, which you need for healthy skin, hair and nails.
9) Build Your Body Intelligence And Listen To It. The thoughts you have when you eat are just as important to your health and wellness as the food on your plate. When each bite you take is accompanied by grateful, loving thoughts, your body will actually be better able to digest and assimilate your meal and tell you what it needs. Eating a nutritionally balanced, clean, plant-powered diet like Sakara Life helps you build a body you can really listen to. Your body is incredibly smart—by providing it with the best-quality nourishment, you will regain your natural intuition about hunger and satiety. Take the time, daily, to tune in to what your body is telling you. Ready to jumpstart the most delicious spring cleaning that has ever touched your lips and loved your body? Sign up now. (Oh, and just to be clear, we also advocate for the traditional Spring Cleaning of your apartment. After all, true bliss comes when peace on the inside matches peace on the outside.)