Wild Mushroom + Corn Tacos with Spicy Slaw and Cashew Crema
SQUEEZE IN UMAMI, TANGY, AND SPICY TACOS BEFORE SUMMER'S SUN SETS
A messy, abundant plate of tacos is a welcome sight in the heyday of summer. Now you can recreate that vignette of blissed-out imperfection deep into fall, with this recipe capturing all the tasty texture. It celebrates umami flavor, thanks to an immune-boosting variety of mushrooms like oyster, maitake, and shiitake. There's plenty of spice and tang, care of a lime-drenched jalapeño slaw, and a healthy dose of saucy goodness courtesy of the cashew-and-cayenne crema. Alongside the mushrooms is also a generous helping of charred corn kernels. An important staple in cultures the world over, we suggest seeking out organic, non-GMO corn and reclaim this health food in all its glory; get in your zinc, carotenoids like zeaxanthin and lutein, and plant fiber. Enjoy this up-leveled, shareable dinner and pair it with a smoky-salt rimmed cocktail.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 small head purple cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 small head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
Wild Mushroom and Corn Filling
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 8 ounces wild mushrooms, such as shiitake, maitake, or oyster, wiped clean with a damp cloth and cut into bite-size pieces
- Himalayan salt
- 1 cup sweet non-GMO corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 8 non-GMO corn tortillas
- 2 avocados, pitted and sliced
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Make the cashew crema: In a blender or food processor, combine the cashews, lime juice, cayenne, and salt with 1/4 cup of water. Blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt, if desired. Transfer the crema to a serving bowl and set aside.
- Make the spicy slaw: In a medium bowl, toss together the cabbage, carrot, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, and salt. Set aside.
- Make the wild mushroom and corn filling: In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook until the shallot is translucent and the garlic hasn't yet begun to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, season with a pinch of salt, and cook until tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the corn and cook for another 2 minutes. Taste the filling and add more salt, if desired.
- Serve: Using a pair of tongs and working in batches, char the tortillas over an open flame on the stove until they are just taking on color and warmed through. Keep the finished tortillas under a clean towel so they'll stay warm Serve the tortillas with the filling, slaw, and crema, plus slices of avocado and fresh cilantro.
Delicious Seasonal Recipes