Protein + Greens Morning Muffins
ENJOY A DENSE AND MOIST BAKED GOOD, WITH A COUPLE SERVINGS OF VEGETABLES SURPRISINGLY FOLDED IN THE BATTER
At every turn, we tuck the vibrant plant kingdom into our recipes. Sometimes it's more overt—check out this California Kitchen Sink Salad for proof—and other times, we whip up a decadent breakfast and end up squeezing in a cup of zucchini. That's what happened here with the Protein + Greens Morning Muffins. Each is a gluten-free delight, deliciously moist thanks to almond butter and aromatic from a classic combination of nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla. Within the batter is Protein + Greens Super Powder, arguably the cleanest protein powder on the market. It contains 12 grams of organic plant protein plus grasses and algae to squeeze in iron, phytonutrients, and critical enzymes. The amino acids in the powder help to keep your energy sustained and spritely. We suggest making a batch on Sunday and enjoying their portable nature; grab one to-go and feel confident that you're nourishing consciously.
Makes 8 muffins; 45 minutes
- 2 packets Protein + Greens Super Powder
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons raw honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 flax egg (2.5 tablespoons ground flaxseeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup carrots or zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts (plus extra for garnish)
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- Optional: fruit of choice (suggested: blueberries, grated apple, strawberries, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Add all ingredients except carrots, optional fruit, and walnuts to a blender or food processor, combining until you achieve a smooth and creamy batter.
- Transfer batter to a large mixing bowl, folding in the walnuts, apple, and carrots. Stir by hand until well combined. Grease a muffin tin with coconut oil and fill each cup 3/4 full (this should yield 8 muffins). Top each muffin with a few pieces of chopped walnut.
- Place in oven and cook for 30-33 minutes, until cooked through. Enjoy warm or cool. Refrigerate leftovers.
MORE MORNING RECIPE INSPIRATION