My Kitchen Staple for Skin, Gut, Energy, and Beauty
CAN ONE NUTRITION POWDER REPLACE A WOMAN'S CABINET FULL OF PILLS AND POTIONS?
Amidst packing up my apartment this summer, I realized I have a problem. While my friends might collect sheet masks, 5-free nail polishes, Reformation dresses or shoes, I’ve racked up a sizable collection of adaptogens. And herbs. Probiotics. Anything in the “powders and potions” category. So much so, that as I’m preparing to move from one side of Brooklyn to the other, I have 2 banker boxes full of chlorella, he shou wu, medicinal mushrooms and something called “marine sea plasma.”
It must be noted, to be sure, that I’m incredibly discerning as I tinker with these tonic-making ingredients. I like to think I develop only the highest quality, most life-giving medicinal concoctions. Through this creative outlet, I have become my buzziest self, healing my meridians, re-mineralizing my body, strengthening my endocrine system and reaching toward higher consciousness so I can feel like a bright light no matter the stresses that cross my path.
Bottom line—when Sakara launched Sakara Life Super Powder, an all-in-one nutrition super powder, I was first in line to dump that light green goodness into a Vitamix and let it whip.
The Super Powder is a multifaceted powder, designed to heal your gut, aid in digestion, enhance your skin’s luminosity, boost energy and provide critical greens to detoxify and eliminate the unnecessary (what we get rid of is as important as what we take in, after all!).
And as any tonic savant worth her (Himalayan) salt knows, the effects are cumulative. So I devised to drink a Super Powder-infused smoothie each morning for 10 days (the length of our gut-healing 10-Day Reset program, as well as the timeframe in which one of its key ingredients, skin-loving phytoceramides, are clinically proven to work) and report back.
Inside each sachet of Super Powder, you’ll find digestive enzymes that stimulate chemical reactions in your GI tract. They help break down your food, which translates to better nutrient absorption, something that many of us could use assistance in, thanks to our high-stress lives. They’re also essential for anyone who deals with bloat after meals.
You’ll also find B-12 and L-theanine, critical vitamins and amino acids that help with cognitive function, immune response, stress management and sleep. The human body requires 13 vitamins, and B vitamins make up 8 of those—important for red blood cell production, energy, and healthy metabolism. Super Powder also contains phytoceramides, the same ingredient in our award-winning Beauty Chocolates, which stimulate our own body’s natural collagen production as opposed to eating another animals’ source of this abundant protein.
Plus, Super Powder also sneaks in a generous helping of greens in the form of barley, chlorella, spirulina and wheatgrass. At Sakara there is an office-wide passion for incorporating greens into every meal or snack; the overwhelming evidence suggests a lighter, brighter you is just one salad away. The fiber and chlorella in greens are the detoxifying agents that will clean the nooks and crannies of your body, and be the beacon of light for your microbiome. The microbiome is the 6 pounds of gut bacteria that dictate everything from your body's ability to absorb nutrients, to your mood, energy, how your body utilizes calories, skin's clarity, to your immune response and far beyond. If your goal is longevity, vitality, and 150 years of feeling amazing, focus on the gut.
Did I mention there’s 12 grams of protein inside too? The protein shake/supplement market is muddled with preservatives, chemically-laden ingredients and protein that inflames and brings our bodies out of sync. Anyone remotely sensitive or dealing with inflammation can attest that protein powders are a tricky business. Sakara Life Super Powder utilizes a complex of 4 types of organic plant protein — hemp, pea, sesame and pumpkin seed — that are hormone- friendly and inflammation-taming.
WHY I LOVED IT:
I incorporated the functional powder in my daily active meditation of dust + blend + serve for 10 days and here were my revelations:
- Firstly, the flavor! It's a rarity to be able to sprinkle powdered wheatgrass in water and not have to really lean in to that earthy, plant flavor. I made a base of coconut water, 1/2 an avocado, 1/2 a banana and some spinach and savored every sip.
- I found I was full for hours after my smoothie and my mind didn't start aimlessly wandering to snacks and lunch, moments after breakfast. We're busy and we deserve to be satiated!
- A daily ritual of taking digestive enzymes will transform your gut, and prepare your body for mealtime sans bloat, discomfort, and reduce inflammation. Especially because I was taking enzymes in the morning, I witnessed the effects of easier digestion, and feeling energized after eating throughout the day. I implement this before every meal, and it's great that it's already included in my breakfast.
- I honest-to-goodness glowed. When you're hydrating at the cellular level from whole foods, scrubbing your GI tract with plant fiber and cleansing chlorella, and supporting the water barrier of your skin with ceramides to keep you supple and young, there is no other option. You can only glow.
-The addition of B12 deserves its own round of applause. It is imperative that everyone, but especially plant-based foodies, incorporate B12 into their daily regimen. Deficiency in this vitamin can cause fatigue, neurological damage, depression, and constipation, among other consequences— and I'm always looking for ways to add it into my diet as I keep my plate fairly vegetable-forward.
- The confidence I experienced from nourishing my body first thing with the cleanest protein powder on the market AND an organic source of deep greens was palpable. When you feel good, that energy extends to your work, your relationships, your creativity, your productivity, your willingness to go out of your comfort zone.
The Take Away
Weeks later, Sakara Life Super Powder has become a staple in my morning routine and a cozy pantry-mate to my reishi and ashwagandha. The joy in the Super Powder for me, is that it is a healing workhorse—it's got the goods to detox, heal, light up my skin, provide body love, and ensure long-lasting energy. Consider this my drink of choice all summer and beyond!