SAKARA HEMP CHOCOLATE COOKIE BARS
MEDICINAL, DECADENT, AND A BONAFIDE CROWD-PLEASER
Sakara Health Coach, Sasha Pagni, developed a sweet treat for our team as a gift while we were away at Sakara Camp Retreat at The Dutchess Hotel in upstate New York. Think of these as s’mores, but up-leveled.
“This recipe was born out of love for friends, high vibe (high health) ingredients, and my desire to bring peace (and food) everywhere I go.
It’s made with the intention of bringing calmness to the body and mind with the help of pearl, reishi, and Sakara Hemp Chocolates.
This recipe is a reclamation piece that pays tribute to the types of foods toxic diet culture has warned us to stay away from: cookies, chocolate, things that have been deemed too sweet and indulgent to ever be health focused. It combines all the joy of dessert with all the benefits of food as medicine.”
While the Pearl and Reishi powder are completely optional, these items can be added in to give this cookie an extra boost of food as medicine.
Pearl Powder is a calcium-rich, anti-aging marine mineral that stimulates collagen production which leads to healthier and stronger skin and nails. Along with its beautifying properties, it has also been used to soothe the nervous system and has been shown to elevate GABA levels in the brain, leading to a more balanced and calm self.
Reishi, known as the Queen Mushroom is a grounding fungi that aids in immune system support, cognitive function, and offers itself as a shen (spirit) soother.
Sakara Hemp Chocolates are created with full-spectrum CBD, meaning the proteins, fiber, fatty acids, and rich essential vitamins are still intact and present unlike in isolates. Sakara Hemp Chocolates work to support healing, especially that of the nervous system and aid in Stress, Insomnia, and Chronic pain.
SAKARA HEMP CHOCOLATE COOKIE BARS
- 3/4 C almond flour
- 1/4 C coconut flour
- ½ Tsp organic vanilla extract
- ½ Tsp pearl powder (optional)
- ½ C organic nut or seed butter of choice (for this recipe I used a combination of almond and peanut butter)
- 6-8 large pitted dates (sub ¼ C maple syrup)
- 1 TB organic maple syrup
- 3 TB water
- 3 Tsp reishi powder (optional)
- ½ C coconut oil
- Sakara Hemp Chocolates (this recipe can be used with as little as 2 hemp chocolates and as many as 15, depending on the dosage that is right for you!)
- ¼ C cacao wafers or organic dark chocolate bar
- Pinch of Celtic or Himalayan Salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Combine ¾ C almond flour and ¼ C coconut flour in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a smaller bowl combine ½ C coconut oil, ½ tsp vanilla, 1 TB maple syrup, and ½ Tsp pearl powder.
- Combine wet oil-based mixture into flour blend and mix. The texture of the dough should be crumbly and combine easily. If it is too dry, add more coconut oil or maple syrup. If it is too wet, add more coconut flour.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, press and flatten dough into rectangular shape (appx. 8 X 5 inches)
- Bake on 375 for 5-8 minutes. Once baked, take out of the oven to cool while you are making the filling.
- **If using dates in recipe** In a small pot, combine 3 TB water and 6-8 large pitted dates on low to medium heat, stirring often, until dates begin to resemble a paste.
- Add ½ C nut or seed butter of choice, 2 TB coconut oil, 3 Tsp reishi powder to date paste and stir until combined and warm.
- Begin to spread filling onto cookie evenly, covering the sides and corners. Once all filling has been used, place cookie in the fridge to set while chocolate is being prepared.
- In a small pot or double boiler, combine your chosen amount of Sakara Hemp Chocolates (I decided to use 12 chocolates or a ¼ C which is 60mg of CBD) with the remaining ¼ c of cacao/dark chocolate and 1 Tsp of coconut oil on low heat.
- Once gently melted and warm, take the cookie from the fridge and begin to spread chocolate over nut/seed layer evenly on top and all sides. Sprinkle evenly with a pinch of salt.
- Place in the fridge to cool and once solidified, cut into large squares or rectangular bars.