Unsung Beauty Mineral: Sulfur
Essential for looking your best from the inside-out
As the third most abundant mineral in the body, sulfur is a versatile, critical chemical. The naturally occurring substance is actually brittle and odorless—despite its reputation for being anything but. What gives sulfur a pungent scent is a number of fragrant compounds, including hydrogen sulfide—which cause its infamous “rotten eggs” smell.
Despite its less-than-pretty reputation, this life-sustaining element is a superstar in the body and crucial to many of its functions—serving as the base behind the production and protection of DNA, proteins, and cells that fend off and prevent serious illnesses like cancer, and a key addition to a well-nourished life, supporting everything from your metabolism to the health of your tendons and ligaments.
The Science Behind Sulfur
Sulfur is an organic source of the potent anti-inflammatory compound Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), which is found in cruciferous veggies like arugula, cauliflower, kale, and rutabaga (that happen to star in dishes like our Full Heart Brassica Bowl, Buckwheat & Shaved Brussels Salad, and Pasta a la Vodka with Kale Parmesan). By supporting cellular development, blood oxygenation, and metabolism, sulfur is instrumental in achieving optimal health. Here are just a few examples:
Sulfur’s External Benefits
- MSM reduces damage to skin cells (which can be a key culprit behind premature signs of aging like wrinkles).
- MSM replenishes and restores sulfur-dense proteins in the body like keratin and collagen—the main structural components of hair, skin, and nails.
- MSM can reduce symptoms of certain skin conditions like rosacea by improving redness, itching, inflammation, hydration, and skin tone.
Sulfur’s Internal Benefits
- MSM’s potent anti-inflammatory properties are helpful in the treatment of joint issues like osteoarthritis.
- The anti-inflammatory benefits of MSM also provide relief from allergy symptoms.
- By supporting cell structure and development, MSM can reverse free-radical cell damage, supporting the body’s immune system and connective tissue repair.
How to Get Your Fill
Increasing your intake of sulfur-rich veggies is the best (and most delicious) way to enjoy the transformational effects of sulfur—and our Signature Nutrition Program is a sure way to gift your body a sulfurous boost you can see and feel. Want to weave sulfur into your kitchen repertoire? We’ve rounded up a few of our favorite recipes here:
Jimena Garcia + Kristen Shaw's Hair-Loving Smoothie
This blend will strengthen your locks and up your radiance with a boost of sulfur-rich silica. Make the recipe.
Brasserie Roasted Vegetables
This vibrant medley of watermelon radish, mustard seeds, shallots, and pumpkin seeds is a seasonal Signature Nutrition Program favorite. See next week’s menu.
The Maca-Mocha Metabolism Brew
Ignite your morning (and metabolism) with this velvety energizer. Make the recipe.
Dark Chocolate GranolaSnack happily and healthily with this indulgent mix of chocolate granola and Brazilian nuts. Shop it now.