Cooking for Kids: A Greens + Veg Mac and “Cheeze”
The greenest, “cheesiest,” nutrient-dense mac-and-cheese that taste buds of all ages will crave.
We get it—enticing little ones with a plate full of greens instead of pasta often comes with its challenges. (Biologically speaking, humans are drawn toward sweet flavors in lieu of bitter ones, and children are developmentally even more sensitive to bitter tastes).
To take the time and guesswork out of your next family meal, we’ve created an adaptable (and delicious) Greens + Veg Mac and "Cheeze,"—filled with zucchini, seeds, greens, and nutritional yeast—that is packed is packed with brain-boosting nutrients and will get your kids to—dare we say—crave their greens.
- 2 raw zucchini or 1 small steamed kabocha squash
- ½ cup cashews or sunflower seeds
- 2 cups greens (spinach, arugula, super greens)
- 1 cup veggie broth or water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp gluten-free flour
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Box of cooked pasta shells
- In a blender combine zucchini (or steamed squash), cashews, garlic, greens, veggie broth until completely smooth.
- In a saucepan over low heat combine ½ cup water, gluten free flour, and olive oil and whisk continuously until thickened to make a quick roux about 1 minute.
- In the saucepan over low heat with the roux add the squash mixture from the blender
- Add nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and turmeric to your preferred taste and mix until it mirrors a thick cheese sauce.
- Pour in all gluten free pasta shells and mix until all shells are coated well.
Looking for more colorful, healthful ways to feed the whole family? Find some of our favorite recipes in our cookbook here.
Our vision of empowering the next generation to be in the driver’s seat of their own health doesn’t stop here. Every dollar you spend with us supports our charitable partner, Wellness in Schools. Want to support them? Consider redeeming your Sakara rewards, or donating here.