Cauliflower Tots With Creamy Cashew Buffalo Sauce
We've all heard about the amazing health benefits of cruciferous vegetables, but did you know that one serving of cauliflower contains 77 percent of the recommended daily value of vitamin C? Not only that, but it's also a good source of vitamin K (which helps your bone cells produce proteins required for the formation of new mineralized bone tissue), protein, magnesium (for healthy bones and teeth, detoxification, energy production), phosphorus (maintains acid balance in the body), fiber, vitamin B6 (protector of the immune system and involved in the process of making serotonin among many other things), folate (plays a role in DNA synthesis and repair), pantothenic acid (aka, vitamin B5: alleviation of conditions like asthma, allergies, stress and anxiety, respiratory disorders and heart problems), and, potassium. Phew.
With all that being said, not only are these 'tater' tots made from cruciferous cauliflower and broccoli but they are SO FREAKING GOOD. Paired with a cashew buffalo sauce and you've got a star of a side for your next brunch, lunch, dinner, snack, what have you. You're welcome. ;)
Cauliflower Tater Tots
Yields 25-30 pieces
- 1/2 cauliflower
- 1 small broccoli
- 1/2 piece onion diced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 c almond flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbs fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Place a steam basket in a medium pot. Fill quarter of pot with water and bring water to boil.
2. Add cauliflower and broccoli into the steam basket. Cover and steam for 5 minutes. Separate into 2 batches to steam if pot cannot fit all cauliflower in one batch. Set aside to cool.
3. Heat olive oil in a saute pan in medium heat. Saute onions for about 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
4. In a food processor, add cooked cauliflower, broccoli, onion, fresh parsley and blend until cauliflower is rice-like size.
5. In a mixing bowl, add almond flour, garlic powder, salt and freshly ground pepper to cauliflower mixture. Stir until mixture binds together.
6. Use a tablespoon to scoop mixture and shape mixture into a tater-tot shape on your palm with pressure. Flatten the sides with 2 fingers.
7. Place tater tots on a parchment or silpat-lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
8. Serve with Creamy Buffalo Sauce!
Creamy Buffalo Sauce
Yields 3/4 cup
- 1/2 c raw cashews soaked in hot water for at least 1 hour and drained
- 1/4 c chili sauce
- 2 tbs applecider vinegar
- 2 tbs your choice of non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp organic miso
Mix all ingredients in a blender or food processor until creamy. If the sauce is too thick, add more non-dairy milk 1/2 tablespoon at a time.