Plant-Rich Mezze Grazing Board
REIMAGINE HOW YOU SNACK, AND GRAZE ALL DAY WITH A RAINBOW OF DELICIOUS FOODS
Inspired by Mediterranean and Middle Eastern foods and flavors, resident food alchemist and plant-based home cook Sasha Pagni shared this buildable, versatile, and truly delicious mezze platter, starring a smoky, creamy baba ganoush-inspired dip. Traditionally a Lebanese dish—in Arabic, it translates loosely to "pampered daddy"—baba ganoush takes eggplant (rich in iron and antioxidants) and cooks it over an open flame; here, it's suggested to broil it on high in the oven. Peel off the skin and blend with your favorite olive oil, tahini, garlic, and lemon for a dip you'll want to dollop on everything. The intention behind this board is that it can help clean out your fridge at the end of the week, when you have a hodgepodge of plant fixings left from the farmer's market. Transform it all into a grazing board; it's ideal for the weekend, when a spontaneous intimate gathering arises, or if you have long meetings all day and want to snack while you work.
- 1 eggplant (medium)
- 2 tablespoons organic tahini
- Juice from 1 whole lemon
- 1 tablespoon coconut yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Handful of parsley, chopped
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Small handful of sesame seeds
MEZZE BOARD COMPONENTS (OPTIONAL, VERSATILE, BUILDABLE):
- A dip (suggested: baba ganoush, hummus, labne, tzatziki)
- Crunchy, chopped veggies for dipping (cucumber, carrots, snap peas, radish, celery)
- Hydrating greens (suggested: gem lettuce, butter lettuce, or romaine)
- Fermented veggies (suggested: pickled beets, cabbage, or kraut)
- Roasted veggies (suggested: roasted cauliflower with apple cider vinegar, chopped parsley, mint, rosemary, and sliced citrus)
- Crackers (suggested: Spicy Green Protein Seed Crackers) or bread (suggested: pita, laffa, or any high-quality, organic sliced bread)
- Something salty (suggested: olives, pickles, pepperoncini)
- Mixed seeds, nuts, or a seed/nut based cheese
- Fruit (suggested: dates, figs, blueberries, or citrus of choice)
- Make the baba ganoush. Turn the oven on to the highest broiling setting.
- Slice eggplant in half and drizzle olive oil + salt over both halves.
- Set eggplant on baking sheet; or if your oven allows, you can place the eggplant directly on the grate.
- Allow eggplant to roast under the broiler until soft on the inside and charred on the outside, around 15-20 minutes.
- Take eggplant out of the oven and peel away the outer skin and place in a strainer over a bowl to allow the excess liquid drain out.
- Place eggplant, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, yogurt, and salt into a blender on high, and blend until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl or plate and garnish with parsley, paprika, seeds, and drizzle of olive oil.
- Using the suggestions above, compose your mezze plate to your liking. Enjoy.
RECIPES THAT PLAY NICELY: