The Virgo Bowl
CELEBRATE VITALITY AND REVEL IN NATURE'S BEAUTY, JUST LIKE THE DISCERNING EARTH SIGN AND RULER OF THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
Here in the thick of September, we're collectively experiencing Virgo consciousness. Virgo season celebrates the body as a beautiful vessel, a time to honor health and physical well-being. The ruler of the digestive system, Virgo embodies all that is practical, analytical, and striving. This season also denotes a shift—from late summer into fall—and the foods we gravitate reflect the change: grounding and wholesome, just like the Earth sign herself.
We invite you to celebrate your health and vitality with this equally vibrant, plant-rich bowl. In true Virgo form, it's no-nonsense yet interesting, and has impeccable taste; the balsamic Brussels sprouts and umami mushrooms are to thank. Plus, Virgos love the idea of purifying, cleansing, and starting fresh, which makes the bright green dressing—with the secret ingredient being Detox Water Drops—even more on the nose. Make your plate your altar this season.
- 12-15 Brussel sprouts, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 10 fresh mushrooms (Shiitake or oyster recommended), sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook the brown rice according to package directions.
- While the rice is cooking, place chopped Brussels sprouts in a bowl with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, salt, and pepper. Toss until Brussels are well coated and place Brussels on the baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes, until tender.
- In a pan over medium heat, pour a tablespoon of olive oil, followed by the sliced mushrooms. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until they begin to brown.
- Turn heat to low and pour in soy sauce or tamari, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, salt + pepper, and diced garlic. Stir all ingredients well until mushrooms are coated and sauté an additional 5 minutes, stirring often until mushrooms are browned and glazed. Remove mushrooms from pan and set to the side.
- Place the pan that the mushrooms were cooked in back on the stove and turn the stove on to medium heat. Pour a little olive oil followed by the sliced bell peppers and sauté for 5 minutes until lightly browned and softened.
- Place cooked brown rice in a bowl, followed by greens, bell peppers, mushrooms, and Brussels sprouts. Top with Detox Drop Dressing or another dressing of your choice, and optional seeds and herbs.
MORE NOURISHING WEEKEND MEALS