Recipe: Zucchini Pasta with Creamy Avocado Pesto
The zoodle trend has been spreading like wildfire! These little green guys are vitamin-packed, gluten-free, raw, vegan, and low on the glycemic index (does it get better than that?). For this recipe you'll need a spiralizer, which you can purchase for about $15-20, so you don’t have to reach deep into your pockets to buy one. It’s an item that you will add to your kitchen and use forever. There are so many foods to spiralize! Imagine..sweet potato pasta made from a REAL sweet potato! You can spiralize carrots, cucumber and so much more for salads. You’ll get good use out of it and it will provide you with creative inspiration in the kitchen.
The zoodles offer a nice al dente bite. The avocado pesto is creamy, rich, and delicious. The tomatoes add a nice fresh sweetness to the dish and the arugula adds a peppery crunch. The best thing about this recipe is that no cooking is involved! It is a simple (but delicious!) dish that requires minimal ingredients, and is the perfect option for days when you just can’t be bothered to think of anything to make.
Yields 2 servings
- 1 yellow zucchini
- 1 green zucchini
- ½ ripe large avocado
- 1-2 cloves garlic (diced)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 4 cherry tomato’s
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Arugula leaves for garnish
- Use spiral slicer to form zucchini pasta. (If you do not have a spiral slicer, you can slice the zucchini into fine strips by hand).
- Mash up the avocado in a bowl. Mix in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Toss and coat zucchini noodles with avocado pesto.
- Garnish with arugula leaves, freshly sliced tomato, and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!