3 Twists On A Savory Breakfast Staple
A SIMPLE CHICKPEA SCRAMBLE MADE EXCEPTIONAL AS A BREAKFAST BOWL, ON A BAGEL, OR PAIRED WITH FRESH GREENS
We’ve never been ones to shy away from a metabolism-revving pancake or a cacao-and- strawberry whipped parfait for breakfast, but there those mornings that call for savory. When the cravings hit, look no further than this 100 percent plant-based chickpea scramble. And for those who partake in pastured eggs, they will be floored by the culinary secret that captures the signature, egg-y flavor. To nail it, add kala namak or Himalayan black salt. This sulfurous, volcanic salt is said to have been identified by the father of Ayurvedic medicine, Maharishi Charak over 2,300 years ago. Nutritionally, it offers an internally cooling effect, therapeutic to inflammation and can relieve bloating. It’s an incredibly versatile favorite for Sakara Wellness Coach, Sasha Pagni, who developed the recipe years back and has friends request it often. Here, she shares the basic recipe—yummy on its own—plus two satiating ways to uplevel: on a sandwich and as part of a big brekky bowl with gut-loving extras.
CHICKPEA SCRAMBLE (BASE)
- ½ cup chickpea/garbanzo bean flour
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan black salt (kala namak)
- ¾ cup water or plant based milk
- Dash of paprika
- Optional: chives and 2-3 handfuls bitter greens
- Optional: Plant-based Classic Caesar Dressing
- Whisk all the ingredients in a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Pour enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a pan (1-2 tablespoons) and turn stove on to medium heat.
- Once pan is thoroughly heated, pour the scramble mixture into the pan.
- With a spatula, begin to scrape the bottom of pan frequently to ensure the scramble does not stick to the bottom.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring mixture often to create a “scrambled” appearance.
- Top with more pepper and chives. Pair with frisée and radicchio or choice of greens. Enjoy.
- Chickpea scramble
- ½ avocado
- 2-3 handfuls leafy greens
- ½ roasted sweet potato
- 1 handful pumpkin seeds
- 2 organic radish, julienned
- 2 forkfuls sauerkraut or kimchi
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon-based dressing or vinaigrette of choice (We like the Youth + Beauty Dressing)
- Layer down greens of your choice and top with roasted sweet potato, scramble mixture, avocado, seeds, radish, and fermented veggies of your choice (a favorite of late is this nettles- ginger-burdock kraut)
- Chickpea scramble
- 1-2 tablespoons of plant-based cream cheese (We like Monty’s if local to NYC, or this delicious fermented home edition)
- 1 handful leafy greens
- ⅓ onion, caramelized
- 2 handfuls crisped mushroom bites
- 2 slices seedy, fermented bread or Sakara bagel
- On the bread or bagel of your choice, spread cream cheese, then layer the chickpea scramble. Top with greens, onion, and mushroom bacon. Enjoy.
MORE WARMING WAYS TO START YOUR MORNING: