Daydreamer Soba Noodle Bowl
THIS IS MAJOR... WE'RE SHARING THE SECRET SAUCE THAT LAUNCHED A WHOLE COOKBOOK
This masterpiece was dreamed up by one of our chefs who got his start in the world-renowned kitchens of Jean-Georges and Le Bernardin. But the real magic started happening when he applied that fine dining culinary expertise to plant-powered goodness. The result is a dish that is a Sakara mainstay and a longtime client favorite. It’s no wonder—it features grounding shiitake mushrooms to keep you focused and connected to a moment, asparagus for cellular regeneration and fortitude, and a fiery chili sauce to ignite your wildest daydreams.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
For the Chili Sauce
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons high-quality sriracha
For the Noodles
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 package buckwheat soba noodles
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 2 scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- Make the chili sauce: In a blender, combine all the ingredients. With the blender still running, drizzle in 2 tablespoons of water to emulsify. Set aside.
- Make the noodles: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms and asparagus with 1 tablespoon of the oil and the salt and toss to coat. Spread the vegetables in an even layer over the prepared baking sheet. Roast until the asparagus is tender, about 6 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to a plate and return the mushrooms to the oven to roast for another 10 minutes, until tender. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook soba noodles according to the package instructions. Strain and rinse under cold water. Toss the noodles with the remaining oil to keep them from sticking.
- In a large bowl, toss the noodles with the roasted vegetables and chili sauce. Arrange the noodles over a bed of arugula, sprinkle with the scallions and sesame seeds, and serve.