Shaved Butternut Squash Salad
WITH A COCONUT MILK-TAHINI DRESSING
Fall at the farmers’ market is one of our favorite places to take in Mother Earth’s abundance—filling our totes with apples, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, and every shape and color of squash we can find.
This recipe, featuring ribboned squash of your choosing, makes for a show-stopping (albeit easy-to-whip-up) dish that you’ll want to serve at your next seasonal soirée. What’s more, all your guests will leave with a side of skin glow, thanks to the complexion-nourishing coconut—rich in healthy, body-loving fats—within.
1 1/2 cups ribboned squash, skin off (butternut, zucchini, acorn, pattypan)
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
1/3 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon pepitas
1/4 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1/2 tablespoon coconut shreds
1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tablespoon salt (plus finishing salt, to taste)
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together tahini, coconut milk, olive oil, and the juice of half a lemon until combined. Set aside.
- On the stovetop, set heat to medium-low and add pepitas. Stir frequently until lightly browned and popping. Remove from the skillet and set aside in a small bowl.
- In the same skillet, heat up coconut shreds on medium to low heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the skillet so as to not burn.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add ribboned squash. Mix in dressing, then add browned pepitas, toasted coconut shreds, nutritional yeast, and salt. Mix again.
- Plate all ingredients and top with more browned pepitas, toasted coconut shreds, finishing salt to taste, and edible flowers. Enjoy!