A SUPER HERBAL MOCKTAIL DUO
CITRUS-Y AND HERBACEOUS OR TART AND FULL OF ADAPTOGENIC BERRIES... TWO NON-ALCOHOLIC LIBATIONS THAT TASTE LIKE A CELEBRATION
Perhaps you'd like to flirt with a sober summer night and ditch the brain fog or tired skin that tags along with a strong cocktail. These two delicious libations—created by Sakara Wellness Coach and avid plant home cook, Sasha Pagni—still bring celebratory energy, but turn up the dial on potent nutrition. It's not simply that these elixirs are sans alcohol; they boast wildly healthful ingredients.
The first drink highlights the powerful Chinese berry Schisandra, which supports liver repair, heightens physical endurance, and nourishes the adrenal glands. This tart, red refresher also centers on the goji berry, which is a powerful source of immune-boosting antioxidants. Rosehips and fresh coconut water also make this super hydrating. And to ensure the flavor isn't one-note, Sasha adds a rim of smoky, flaky salt and a hearty squeeze of lime.
The second mocktail takes inspiration from a sparkling mimosa, with an herbaceous twist. Beginning with a rush of vitamin C citrus, the elixir is then mixed with a slippery herb infusion—plants like marshmallow and oatstraw—to soothe body tissue, strengthen cellular integrity, and actively fight against inflammation. Then, with a sprig of basil and crush of vanilla bean, this vibrant drink offers a multidimensional, jubilant sweet flavor without being saccharine. If you do wish to play dirty, this drink pairs divinely with prosecco or champagne, while the goji-lime refresher takes new form with a splash of tequila. Either way, honor your body, give thanks for what you have, and cheers to each summer sunset.
*A note from Sasha on sourcing: “Loose herbs can be found at Mountain Rose Herbs, the herb section of your local health food store (in fact, many Whole Foods stores carry loose herbs), or you can purchase tea bags from any grocery store (try Traditional Medicinals, Organic India, and Yogi Tea) and cut them open.”
GOJI-ROSE LIME REFRESHER
"This evokes the tart, crisp flavor of a Prickly Pear Margarita and goes nicely with tacos. The real twist and what I think makes it is the smoky salt rim. It balances out all the flavors. The rosy-berry base lends powerful adrenal support, is deeply hydrating, helps harmonize the body, and supports the immune system thanks to rosehips' vitamin C."-Sasha Pagni
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 tablespoon of Schisandra berries
- 1 tablespoon goji
- 2 teaspoons rose petals
- 2 teaspoons rosehips
- Juice from 1 whole lime
- 1-2 teaspoons agave
- 1-2 sprigs fresh mint
- Smoked salt, Celtic salt, or Himalayan pink salt for rim of the glass
- Combine the water and coconut water into a large jar. Add in Schisandra, goji, rose petals, and rosehips to the liquid. Place the jar in the fridge and steep for at least 1 hour. For a stronger brew, steep up to 8 hours.
- Strain the herbs and berries out and leave only the infused liquid.
- Either in a shaker or with a whisk, combine the infused liquid with the agave and juice from half of a lime. Taste and then add more agave or lime as necessary.
- For an optional salt-lined rim, pour salt into a shallow bowl or small plate. Rub a lime slice around the rim of the cup and then dip the rim into the salt.
- Place the sprigs of mint at the bottom of a cup and with a spoon or pestle, gently smash the mint to release the oils.
- Pour the infused liquid into the salted cup with the mint and gently stir.
CITRUS-BASIL VANILLA CREAMSICLE
"This flavor profile tastes like a mimosa and an orange creamsicle got married. It's gentle and rejuvenating, packed with powerful herbal ingredients. It uses marshmallow to soothe inflammation and irritation in the tissues of the body, as well as oatstraw to replenish the nervous system. Oatstraw also offers critical minerals like silica, calcium, and iron. If you want to add alcohol, champagne or prosecco work deliciously." -Sasha Pagni
- 1 cup of fresh juice of preferred citrus (the suggested combination is fresh grapefruit, Pixie tangerines, and Page mandarins)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon marshmallow root
- 1 tablespoon oatstraw
- 1 teaspoon agave
- ¼-½ cup sparkling water
- 1-2 fresh sprigs of basil (optional)
- ½ teaspoon fresh vanilla bean (optional)
- Place the marshmallow root and oatstraw into a jar with 1 cup of water, cover with an airtight lid, and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours or make it the night before and let steep overnight.
- Juice your citrus until you have at least 1 cup. For an orange-forward taste, use more tangerines and mandarins, then juice one whole grapefruit.
- Strain the liquid from the marshmallow and oat straw infusion and add ½ cup to a blender.
- Add the citrus juice, vanilla extract, vanilla bean (optional), and agave to the blender with the infused liquid and blend on high for 30 seconds. Taste and adjust by adding in more of the infused liquid, agave, or vanilla as necessary.
- Pour into a cup and top off with sparkling water and the option basil leaf.
MORE WAYS TO EAT CLEAN + PLAY DIRTY