What Does it Mean to Mother?
LEARNING TO LOVE THE MOTHER IN EACH OF US A LITTLE EXTRA
We’ve all nurtured and cared for someone else and we all know what it’s like to selflessly give to another human being. But what about mothering ourselves? Do we ever take a moment to truly nourish and love ourselves unconditionally?
If we did, what would that look like? Maybe quieting the voices that tell us we’re not doing enough or giving enough, or relishing in the small moments that would usually pass us by, or taking an extra 20 minutes in the morning to take a walk alone? I have a nine-month-old and I can’t get enough of her little rolls! I’m obsessed with them and kiss them every single day. Why can’t I do that for myself? This Mother’s Day, I encourage us to honor and celebrate the mother in each of us and to allow space for us to mother ourselves in a meaningful way. Love yourself the way you love those that you adore.
As we balance the yin and the yang this year, take time to focus on where your strengths and tendencies manifest. Do you reach for taking care of others before making sure you’re in a good place? Do you give in order to please? As a way to honor the mother in each of us, let’s take the time to nourish and nurture ourselves so that we may have the strength to take care of those around us. May our cups be so full that we give from the overflow, without depleting our own supply. This Mother’s Day, let’s love the mother in each of us a little extra.
In honor of nourishment, I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes to make for new mamas, friends, and my family. They’re easy, healthy, and oh so nourishing:
Strawberry Quinoa Muffins
Ingredients (makes 12)
- 1/2 cup Quinoa Flour
- 1/2 cup Quinoa Flakes
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 2 flax eggs (whisk 2.5 tsp ground flax with 2 tsp water. This equals one “egg”)
- 1 cup chopped ripe strawberries
- Optional: Add walnuts, almonds, or dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together bananas, flax eggs, and honey, add to dry. Do not worry about over-mixing the wet and dry ingredients. Stir in strawberries and any other add-ins.
- Pour batter halfway up each muffin cup in a greased muffin tin. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.