ENJOY A REISHI-LED LIBATION WITH A CITRUS-GINGER TWIST, TO CLOSE OUT THE NIGHT ON A HIGH NOTE
While evening is often the moment one might have a glass of wine or cocktail in hand, drinking close to bedtime can hinder sleep. And though it has a tendency to make us drowsy—the falling asleep might come easier—the actual sleep hours logged are not the most restorative, as the third and fourth deep sleep stages are deeply interrupted: this is when our metabolism, memory, creativity, and hormones recalibrate, and emotional processing happens.
Make sleep a priority while still capping off the night with something crisp and delicious, like this mocktail—the flavor is a trifecta of cinnamon-vanilla-ginger, with a citrus twist. Then, the base of this elixir uses reishi, known as "the mushroom of spiritual potency" in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Combined with the potent adaptogen, ashwagandha, and an optional dropperfull of CBD, the herbs and plants within create a blissed-out calm that will feel transcendent in its own right.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bag of reishi tea or 2 teaspoons reishi powder
- 2 teaspoons ashwagandha
- 1 small knob of ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean
- 1 four-inch piece of citrus peel (suggested: lemon or grapefruit)
- ½ teaspoon smoked salt
- Optional: A few drops of CBD oil (suggested: Xula Herbs)
- Place ashwagandha, ginger, cinnamon and reishi in a jar, fill with water and allow components to sit and break down for up to 8 hours.
- Using a shaker bottle, shake with vanilla, citrus peel, smoked salt, and optional CBD.
- Pour over an extra-large ice cube and sip mindfully.
DISCOVER MORE LESSONS IN REST: