Royal Roasted Broccoli Crowns
WITH BEET-HERB JEWEL RICE AND PINK LEMON-TAHINI DRESSING
Make plants the main event (and entrée) at your next dinner party with this vibrantly colorful, flavorful dish. We paired tender roasted broccoli crowns with herbaceous jewel rice, added a dollop of hummus, and then drizzled it all with a zesty lemon-tahini dressing.
Beets are woven throughout this dish, and not only do they add a remarkable pretty-in-pink hue they also bring the body benefits. The superfood is touted for its ability to produce nitric oxide—a “miracle molecule” that relaxes the blood vessels and allows blood to travel freely, promoting a healthy circulatory system.
2-3 broccoli crowns (Tip: try to find broccoli with leaves for crispy texture and dramatic plating)
High-quality olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
Herb Jewel Rice
1 large shallot, chopped
3 cups cooked brown rice
1 medium roasted beet, chopped
Juice from two lemons
Handful chopped pistachios
Handful mixed fresh herbs (like mint, parsley, and/or dill)
Pink Himalayan salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Cumin, to taste
Pink Lemon-Tahini Sauce
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon soy sauce
¼ teaspoon beet powder (optional)
1-2 tablespoons beet hummus
Beet microgreens or other microgreens
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare broccoli. Trim the ends off the stems and, depending on the size, half lengthwise or slice into steaks. Lay flat on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and bake until tender and caramelized with crispy leaves, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Make the rice. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and sauté for a few minutes. Add the brown rice, tossing it for a couple of minutes to combine with the shallot and olive oil. Add the beet and pistachios, tossing to combine. Add lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cumin to taste, then a big handful of fresh herbs. Toss to combine.
- Prepare the dressing. Blend tahini, water, ¼ cup lemon juice, soy sauce, and beet powder.
- Plate. Dollop 1-2 tablespoons of beet hummus, then top with rice and roasted broccoli. Garnish with chopped pistachios, microgreens, edible flowers, a thinly sliced Chioggia beet, or whatever else you prefer. Enjoy!
MORE SHOW-STOPPING PLANTS-AS-MAINS