Herbaceous Sweet Potato Hash
HAVE YOU CONSIDERED SALAD FOR BREAKFAST?
This breakfast will root you down, with grounding energy that closes out Taurus season. On a bed of hydrating greens—which will do wonders for your skin first thing in the morning—we've tucked away root vegetables like burdock, parsnip, and a bevy of aromatic herbs including rosemary and parsley. Burdock root contains potent antioxidants like quercetin and phenolic acids, while herbs act as anti-inflammatory vehicles of minerals and micronutrients. Add tender sweet potato (packed with resistant starch and beta-carotene), a spoonful of your favorite ferment, and alliums like garlic and onions, and you've created a supercharged breakfast that's decidedly savory, smoky, and satisfying. Sprinkle on paprika for added flavor.
- 1 small sweet potato
- ¼ of a red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ cup chopped mixed root veggies (suggested: burdock, parsnips, beet)
- ½ cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup chopped herbs (suggested: parsley, sage, rosemary)
- 1 cup soft lettuce (suggested: gem, butter, spring mix)
- 1 cup dark leafy greens (suggested: baby chard, arugula, spinach)
- ½ avocado
- ½ radish, sliced
- Spoonful of sauerkraut
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Vinaigrette of choice (suggested: Cashew-Herb Dressing or Youth + Beauty Dressing)
- Bring a pot of water with a pinch of salt to a boil. Chop sweet potatoes into bite-sized chunks and place in a pot of water and cook for 5-10 minutes or until just tender. Do not over boil the potatoes or they will fall apart when sautéing.
- In a pan, add a few teaspoons of olive oil and turn the heat on to medium-low. Add the chopped onion, cooking until it becomes aromatic.
- Add in the parboiled sweet potatoes, carrot, and other root veggies. Turn the heat to medium/medium-high. Toss in a sprinkle of salt, stir, place a lid on the pan, and cook root veggies for 5-7 minutes, stirring when needed, until they begin to soften and brown.
- Take the lid off; add in the mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, chopped herbs, and more olive oil if needed and cook and stir until root veggies begin to crisp and mushrooms begin to brown, another 5 minutes or so. Taste and adjust seasonings, then remove from heat.
- Lay down a bed of mixed greens, add the root veggie + mushroom hash, avocado, radish, sauerkraut, vinaigrette, and top with additional fresh herbs. Enjoy.
MORE MORNING RECIPES: